Friday 21 March 2014

STICKS + STONES

sticks and stones have broken his bones before
he's been on the floor,
calling out to all the gods he's believed in
(believe me, I've seen it)
only taking what he needs
no more, no less
blessing the fists and baseball bats that beat him
(beat on the brat)
actually
"the colder it gets the warmer we feel"
he said
and I really believe that
believing is half the battle
(maybe even 3 quarters)
and all the daughters in the world
couldn't hate him/
safety in numbers
running up that hill,
killing the demons inside him

somehow
sticks and stones don't hurt him/
burning the bridges that burnt him before
"drop that tear in the ocean"
he said
and when they find it you'll stop caring
and sharing the empathy you have for me
and all the others on this flea-bitten planet
then he called me turquoise/
a boy, a man and everything in between
but that means nothing to me/
because right now
he is he as you are he as you are me
and we are all together
little things like the metal in his dimples
are what makes him human,
dancer,
father
and friend/
wishing on bones that ended long ago
when he chose not to fight but to fly/
jonathan seagull, beagles and black legs
it's all in the past and the faster we slowed down
we found that there's blood in a stone
after all

breezeblocks are no obstacle
the probability of life at sea and gin in teacups
all the more likely/
pointing the finger is easy
when it's attached to your hand/
walking faster and brown parcels are your priority
(sorry you feel that way)
what I'm saying is that he's a friend
put simply he's just another person like you/
looking lost but probably more found
than you like to admit
it's a superman/kryptonite kind of situation
one that i'll take with me wherever I go
so,
sticky - this one's for you
for truth, love and vodka
thank god you're here/
hearing what we all have to say
and (in a strange way)
we're the wayward strangers
who wish we could be more like you
blue lights
street lights
lighting a cigarette as you tell us you love us
well,
a bit of trust goes a long way
and my days would be a lot worse/
without your shotgun weddings,
jogged memory
and shaved head
terry lee
I'm only trying to remind you
that whatever's behind us can't cause pain
and the light at the end of the tunnel
isn't always a train

No comments:

Post a Comment