Friday 21 March 2014

NIQUITIN

I'd like to give you up
live a bit longer instead
but on the days when heads roll
I don't care nearly as much
that I'm burning you
to eventually lead
to burning my own bones
in a black tie ceremony
the only memory of me
sawdust,
chucked off a car park somewhere
hardly what you'd call a send-off

if it came to it
I'd like you all to carry on living
carry on, carry on
if I'm not back again this time tomorrow
grab a bottle instead
carry on living
dance to joy division,
take off your 3 piece suits and pretty dresses,
accept that some things are a mess
and that's ok

you were always ok
you don't need me to tell you that
i'll just choke on the words
because, actually, I'm not that good with them
all I do is remember
how it feels to be human
assume things aren't perfect
and carry on from there/
try and care about the little things that make all the difference
to people like you and me
where were we?
I only started this after listening to the hiss
of another cigarette butt in a half drunk can
that's nothing, really
because I remembered a more important lesson instead
that we're temporary/
like bubblegum or a bus journey
we all end up in the same place/
no amount of pain or material gain
can stick the skin back on to your thin form
once you're gone

so again
(I like to mention things twice)
just be nice to eachother
I'm no teacher but that's not a difficult lesson
love the little things/
but think bigger
smile once in a while
and try to stop trying to lie to yourself.
sorry if my advice seems annoying
(I annoy myself sometimes)
but if modern life is rubbish
then we've got nothing to lose
I might not quit smoking
but I can choose
to be a better person
and personally,
given the choice
I know which one
I'd try to avoid

No comments:

Post a Comment